I grew up eating and growing greens. So you can imagine that I’ve prepared and eaten them many different ways. This is my current favorite way to enjoy them. There is something comforting about the flavor of the fire roasted tomato goodness and it creates to most tasty pot liquor. My favorite ways to eat them are with a classic herby baked chicken with mashed sweet potatoes or overtop grits. This is an amazing hearty meatless option for shrimp and grits.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 large bunch of collard greens
- 28oz canned tomatoes (I prefer fire roasted)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 Large cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium red/white onion
- 2 large handfuls of fresh tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Olive oil
- Agave to sweeten as necessary (you can also use brown sugar, honey, or whatever you have in your pantry)
Check out the video to see how I cook them.